Thursday 17 June 2010

Music in the Trees: Nathan


“I like to walk around my dark house” ... so do I. While I am a perpetual night owl myself, I like walking around it much better with some good music. I put on Nathan last night, when I was cooking myself supper at 10pm.

While much more of a country influence than I generally listen to, I am a sucker for good lyrics, and these songwriters definitely have a gift for quirky smooth, free running lines that are easy to sing with, and catchy at the same time.

Winnipeg's music scene has for a very long time been vibrant and creative, so it was no surprise to learn that the band thrives in the flat prairies which, as they say on their own page are “full of hidden caves, impossibly high mountains and murky oceans.”

The band is comprised of singer/writer/guitarist/thereminist Keri Latimer (formerly McTighe, she got hitched), singer/writer/accordionist/banjo-ist Shelley Marshall (formerly Bilewitch, she got hitched first), Bassist Devin Latimer, drummer Damon Mitchell, and a rotating cast of tubas, pedal steels and trumpets. (from http://www.myspace.com/nathanband)

It is the kind of music that everyone will undoubtedly get up and dance to at this year's folk festival. Nathan headlines on Saturday night and I would encourage anyone who can make it out to come dance in the dark with Nathan and experience the magical lyrics and beautifully rhythmic accompaniment which will entice you to join with them. Until then, have a listen at: http://www.myspace.com/nathanband  

No comments:

Post a Comment