Sunday 22 May 2011

Clearing in the Trees

I have learned in the past, that people do not respect other people's opinions - even when it is made clear that it is an opinion. I'm not sure about anyone else from Canada, but I'm pretty sure opinions weren't outlawed, and it's part of my rights as a person to have my own opinion - even if it's wrong.

Case in point - I can like this article on a broken promise posted by Deveryn Ross, even if I don't like his politics. Just because I didn't vote for him when he ran for mayor doesn't mean I don't believe his opinions can be right from time to time; or that his columns may make people openly discuss the issues around public funding, politics and government spending. That said, that doesn't mean I agree with what he thinks are the correct ways to deal with said problems. That's the beauty of a free country, there are lots of opinions, and lots of solutions. Not everyone agrees, and not every choice is right IN FACT sometimes none of the choices are right or good and it is just a matter of choosing the least wrong one.

Here's an example, the way the mayor and city council have dealt with the flood. They've taken the stance of extreme caution, done evacuations and of utmost importance decided to keep those living in the area safe. They could have not evacuated the area of town most in danger, and as it turned out they all probably would have been fine. They closed the corral centre and evacuated businesses in an effort to lessen traffic around the dikes. This is all fine and good, makes sense to me. However, they are letting the corral centre back in on Tuesday (link here), and not the businesses north of them go back. When at a chamber meeting the council promised to be fair to all businesses in the area - what they've done, is allowed big box stores many of which are not privately owned, back in the area which will increase the flow of traffic, and 'the little guy' has to stay out for longer. Do I think this is right? Probably not. Is that just my opinion. Yes. Can I understand why small business owners like Patches and Memories are upset. Of course. Did the city council make the right decision? Who knows. That's what voters are for.

I've recently voiced my opinons on Ross's column and the Brandon Folk, Music and Arts Festival line up for this year. I'm not sure which got me unfriended on facebook, and I don't really care. I have an opinion. Is it right? Who knows, does it deserved to be talked about publically? Why not. Am I friends with a myriad of people from all political backgrounds? Yes. Do I have many of them on facebook? Yes. So excuse me if I enjoy discourse of a variety of natures. Excuse me if I voice my own opinion and all of my friends have other opinions. They may not be NDP, Conservative, Liberal or religious like you but they are my friends. I value their opinions because of the people they are, not because they are part of a particular group. So screw all of you who think I have to be of the same political or whatever stripe as you.

I am non-partisan, I am non-religious, and fairly anti-organized anything (this includes religion, politics and everything in between). It makes me extremely annoyed that certain people can't see past what is a suggestion, constructive criticism, and opinion. I believe that open discussions are useful and needed in every day life. I believe that people should be able to talk across a political divide.

This will not reach anyone who matters, and if it doesn't reach the cowards who can't see past their own skin, well so be it. I'll keep going, and my opinions, or the decision to even have opinions will not change. Neither will I. I am okay in my own skin and my own place in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment