Sunday 1 May 2011

Close to my Heart

I have to share this, simply because it is one of the kindest things I have seen done in a very long time.

My brother is getting married this July, and I'll be honored to sing at their wedding, which will mark my first public (ish) performance for a very long time. I had a dream about the song, so I'm singing "From this Moment" which is completely fitting of my brother and his wonderful wife to be Jamie.

This weekend, they had her bridal shower, and social (in true Manitoba style) in the middle of a blizzard, with half of the roads closed in Manitoba - to a great, heart-warming turn-out. Rather than raise money for themselves, they raised money to donate for a great cause, near to to many of our hearts. The money they raised last night will be donated to suicide awareness.

It hasn't been a great week. There were any number of things that went wrong - my tires got slashed, the other tire went flat, my windshield cracked for no apparent reason etc. etc. etc. I missed going to the social because of the weather, and my brother lost one of his groomsmen. His funeral was on Thursday, and rather than dwell on the sadness, they both chose to turn a really awful situation in to something more positive.

For a long time, I've followed and been a  member of To write love on her arms which is a suicide awareness/prevention non-profit organization. You can check it out at the link I've provided.

Thanks guys - for bringing more awareness to a really important cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment