Sunday 15 May 2011

Someone should pay me to have ideas

I saw an article on Slashdot about a prize for creating a real medical tricorder. . . which got me thinking. We totally already have all the tools necessary as a human race to do that, but just need someone to figure out how.

There are people employed by the CIC (formerlly the CIA) who wear body suits that are essentially one big computer collecting data on everything around them. It is simply the person's job to walk around and let the suit record everything. So theoretically, we already have a life size version of a tricorder as far as collecting data and 'scanning' are concerned.

Secondly, we have Google, and it's all about database ordering, which if you've noticed they're pretty good at. I and query a search term, and probably come up with both a) suggestions on what I'm looking for and b) relevant results that might actually be worth clicking on.

So with a simple interface similar to many iPad applications, or something like the amazon kindle - all we need is a satellite or Internet connection and the medical officer in the field has Gray's Anatomy (the medical text - not the show) and whammo, you have a tricorder. Now as far as interfaces go, that would be up to developers to create something that after scanning allowed the operator to put in visual observations that only a 'human' can see leading to a more accurate diagnosis.

It really is too bad that I don't know how to program because that would be a pretty great prize. Here's the link though if you're interested in reading more about the contest. Invent the medical tricorder-win 10 million dollars

I'll also say right up front there are some issues that my version doesn't address - yet.
A) In military zones, there's a good chance that Internet/satellite access wouldn't be available.
B) The contest doesn't say whether the tricorder is for diagnosis and treatment, or for treatment only. They do however compare it to star trek, in which case, I chose to go with The Original Series - which is a diagnostic tool only and the Doctor carries around a med kit anyway. The criteria do state that it would need to be as good as a 'panel of experts'. I think I've covered that by using an ordered database, and the ability to put in human observations. Also - even a panel can be wrong so the job statistically of my device would be to hold up to human error (in a truly mathmatical and statistical way)
C) This also touches on cloud computing as storing that amount of data on one device would be ridiculously hard - especially if non-western medicines are incorporated.

Anyhow. I want someone to pay me to just come up with the ideas, and the database ordering - which I'm totally capable of on an analytical level. Now, I just need a programmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment